Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Update 2: Sea Swimming

All was going well in the sea up until that really cold snap we had a few weeks ago-snow, ice, frost-the works! And the sea dropped down to around 7deg C. Which, for the record, is REALLY cold!! The difference between 7deg and 8deg is unbelievable. The first lap I did at 7deg, all I could think about was getting out of there. I briefly adjusted to it at the first corner (enough to idiotically think that it was a good idea to go around!) but by the time I got to the second corner I was FREEZING...all that was going through my mind was to get back to the slip as fast as I could-I actually made it around in 30mins which is quite a fast time for me in cold water! It wasn't pleasant. At all. By any definition. And yet I went back in the following weekend, with the water still at 7deg. Don't ask me why. I think I'm just too stubborn for my own good! I did make the smart move of wearing fins this time though, for two reasons. First of all to keep my feet from getting quite so numb. It's kinda annoying when your feet are still cold two days after a sea swim! And second of all, to get around that little bit faster. This time I made it around in 28mins, and I'm not sure if it was that or the fact that I was a little more used to it or maybe the air was a little warmer, but it was much easier the second time around.

Luckily, the temperature has risen since then. Only to 8deg, but the difference is just unbelievable! When it was at 7deg, all I could think was 'get me out...NOW!'. But at 8deg I could actually enjoy the swim. It's just amazing the difference that one degree makes. It's also great that the temperatures are finally going in the right direction, Spring is on the way :)

The last couple of weekends I've been out of the sea-trying to rest this shoulder as much as I can. I'm going to have a whole week of it soon with my Swimtrek training camp so it's more important that I get rid of the injury and try to get some decent metres in before I head away. I'm hoping that I get enough done in the pool this week that I don't have to go there at the weekend though and can go to the sea instead...I'm sick of seeing blue and white tiles under me constantly, I need a change!

No comments: