Saturday, January 31, 2009

Just keep swimming....

It's been a busy couple of weeks on the swimming front...well, in the pool anyway. Last week I had my biggest distance week so far, 60km in 5 days in the pool. And I made it with no major ill-effects (although my shoulders may argue with that point)!! I had an easier week this week just gone though so the shoulders are starting to get back to normal a bit...I'm sure it won't be for long though!

My back has gotten way better-I've been going to the chiropractor twice a week for the past few weeks and thankfully I'm almost pain-free now...it just twinges when I sit down funny or something like that but no pain at all when I'm swimming. And I've only got one chiropractor appointment next week, he's very happy with my progress. So all is good on that front...except of course it means that I'll be back to circuits soon...I've got one more week off those and then back to normality!

The last couple of weekends have been a bit of a disaster on the open-water front, we've gone down and two weeks in a row we haven't been able to get in because it was too dangerous. The waves were coming in over the slip and basically we wouldn't have had a hope of getting out safely. And I'm in no rush to break any of my bones thank-you-very-much! Two weekends ago we did put the trip to good use and headed out further west towards Courtmacsherry to see the 60foot fin whale that had been beached there a couple of days previously and had died. Unfortunately the tide was in so we couldn't go anywhere near her...even looking from the road it was clear what an impressive creature she was though. I've included a photo below taken by someone who was lucky enough to get a lot closer to her than we were. More information can be found on the whole event at the Irish Whale and Dolphin Group website (beware that some of the pictures on there are very gory though!).


The forecast for today was for more south-easterly winds, the worst kind for Sandycove. So I didn't bother heading down today but the plan is to head down in the morning and see how things are then. With only one sea swim for the whole month of January I'm really hoping that February starts out better! So fingers crossed for tomorrow....

No comments: